Thursday, November 19, 2009

Proxy Problems?

I work at a Best Buy and I brought my laptop in and surfed the net on their wireless network for a little while. In order to use it, I needed to get past the proxy and did so. The guys at Geek Squad optimized the computer as well. iTunes, IE, and AIM 6.0 all worked fine at the store. Now I'm back at the house on my wireless network and I can no longer connect to iTunes, internet explorer, or AIM 6.0, only Mozilla Firefox. I had a similar problem with my wireless desktop before and resolved that by restoring the computer. Is it possible by using anothers network, I f'ed up my network in the process? And how would I solve a problem like this without restoring my laptop? Is it possible they disabled that network setting in the process of connecting or optimizing the computer?

Proxy Problems?
Open your Internet Explorer, goto Extra - Options - Internet Options - Connections. Click the "Lan settings" button at the bottom. Check to see if a proxy has been entered. If so, remove the checkmark and see if you can surf the internet again with Internet Explorer (don't know why you'd want to, since Firefox is the better/safer browser, but anyways...).


A lot of programs use the Internet Explorers proxy settings, so if you can surf the net using Internet Explorer, all other programs should work just fine again, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment